We treasure the young people whom God has placed within our congregation. We recognize that God has called all of us in the church to take responsibility to promote their spiritual growth by (1) building a nurturing spiritual community in which faith, love, and active discipleship are modeled by example in our relationships with one another and in our ministry to those outside of the Kingdom of God; (2) actively supporting the spiritual health and strength of families with children in our congregation, recognizing that the most vital spiritual formation occurs in the home; and (3) providing a comprehensive Christian education program for all ages, in the language best understood by the young people themselves, to build up their faith in God, to deepen their knowledge of the Scriptures, and to create opportunities to practice following Jesus.
The young people in our midst are the future of the church, and God desires to accomplish great things through them for His glory. It is our distinct privilege, as a congregation, to be vessels through whom God does His work of spiritual formation in their lives.
The Christian Education Program of EFC Philadelphia aims to prepare young people who, upon reaching adulthood, are:
- Reconciled with God (2 Corinthians 5:16-20)
- Demonstrated profession of personal faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord
- Able to present a clear testimony of personal faith in God (1 Peter 3:15)
- Sensitive to the presence and leading of the Holy Spirit, as demonstrated in personal conduct and interaction with others
- Biblically literate (2 Timothy 2:15)
- Able to summarize the major themes, persons, and stories found in the Old and New Testaments
- Able to articulate basic Christian doctrines and beliefs
- Able to explain the scriptural basis for evangelism and mission (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8)
- Actively following Jesus (Ephesians 4)
- Demonstrating a habit of personal prayer and Bible reading
- Participating consistently and willingly in the regular gatherings of the church
- Actively serving within the church
- Actively participating in ministry to those outside the Kingdom of God